Hi,
It seems like connections aren't being closed properly.  Some RedHat
users have reported a need to set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL parameter such
that NPTL is not used and threading problems go away.  I myself don't
have experience with that, but if you search this list's archives for
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL you'll see what I'm talking about.

>I'm sorry to bother again but I was wondering whether any of you has
>some feedback about the following problem.

Don't worry/apologize, you're not bothering anyone.  Ask away.  If
someone doesn't feel like answering, they won't ;)

>Examining the application log I only see a few exceptions caused by an
>RDBMS shutdown. I am asking myself if this can be the cause of zombie
>threads, but it seems strange to me.

It could be, depending on your driver.  If you're using connection
pooling such as via DBCP, try adding a validation query to the pool's
configuration.

>Do you have any ideas? I may increase ThreadPool dimension, but when
the
>block occurred traffic was low and it doesn't seem to justify any
change
>on the configuration side. Is it a Tomcat issue? We are planning to
>upgrade to 4.1.30 very soon, but could it be worth to go towards 4.1.31
>or 5.x.y (not really planned yet)?

The block did not occur because traffic was high: I bet the hung
connections accumulated over a long period: possibly even the six months
you mentioned.

It's definitely worth your time to test with Tomcat 5.0.28.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.