The attached minmgr.xml  clearly shows no other
Realm  other than MemoryRealm is set.  And the web.xml
of the stock /manager  webapp set the authentication
to BASIC.
So please if you can check the attached minmgr.xml
file and see how it possibly uses JAASRealm?
I restarted again and see these logged:
[jmx-service] INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on
http-9080
[jmx-service] Oct 22, 2004 12:17:08 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
[jmx-service] INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache
Tomcat/5.0.28
[jmx-service] Oct 22, 2004 12:17:08 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
[jmx-service] INFO: XML validation disabled
[jmx-service] Oct 22, 2004 12:17:09 PM
org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm setContainer
[jmx-service] INFO: Setting JAAS app name Catalina
[jmx-service] Oct 22, 2004 12:17:10 PM
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase start
[jmx-service] INFO: This Realm has already been
started
[jmx-service] Oct 22, 2004 12:17:10 PM
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector start