When you say "random" do you mean that accessing the same URL sometimes
gives a 500 and sometimes not, or that you can't see a pattern in the URLs
that cause the 500?

Are you looking in all the tomcat log files (under CATALINA_HOME\logs ), and
the apache httpd logs, as well as any TC log file you might have configured
yourself?

What error messages are you seeing in the browser when the 500 occurs?

Are you seeing the standard tomcat error page or have you configured your
own?

Can you give an example URL that triggers the 500, and your web.xml config
(esp your servlet mappings)?