I initially looked at CGIServlet, but I run the Apache http server,
rather than using Tomcat's implementation.  I also need to implement my
own functionality (primarily for user authentication).  But yes, this
is close to what I'm after.  I'm sure I can roll my own, but it would
be nice to find an existing solution.

I just googled cgiservlet, and this may yield something useful.  I will
let you know.

Thanks,
Shawn