To anyone who can help,
I currently am looking into alternative to mod_jk2 for apache and tomcat . Simply because of latency issues. One of the avenues that I am attempting is using mod_proxy and mod_rewrite. I have followed the directions from this url

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/balancer-howto.html

the only difference between these directions and my implementation is that I have this

<Location /jsp-examples>
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond "%{HTTP_COOKIE}" "(^|;\s*)JSESSIONID=\w*\.(\w+)($|;)"
RewriteRule "(.*)" "http://${SERVERS:%2|${SERVERS:ALL}}%{REQUEST_URI}" [P,L]
RewriteRule "^.*;jsessionid=\w*\.(\w+)($|;)" "http://${SERVERS:$1|${SERVERS:ALL}}%{REQUEST_URI}" [P,L]
RewriteRule "(.*)" "http://${SERVERS:ALL}%{REQUEST_URI}"; [P,L]
</Location>

instead of what the apache "how to"  implements

<Location /webapp>

RewriteRule "(.*)" "http://${SERVERS:%2}%{REQUEST_URI}"; [P,L]
RewriteRule "^.*;jsessionid=\w*\.(\w+)($|;)" "http://${SERVERS:$1}%{REQUEST_URI}"; [P,L]
RewriteRule "(.*)" "http://${SERVERS:ALL}%{REQUEST_URI}"; [P,L]
</Location>

That was just a little tip that I got from a website.

I can get to the urls just fine. For instance if I go to one off my apps (notice ssl)

https://sdp-webprod.phila.k12.pa.us/masterlogin/

I get there with no problem . Should I take away the trailing slash and hit enter I end up with the following in my url string

http://170.235.31.19:8080/masterlogin/

Any suggestions?

-Pablo