On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 07:05:12PM -0800, Eric Wulff wrote:
> I just returned from working on a tutorial at sun which I was inspired
> to go over based on my lack of understanding of the code snippet
> below.  I'm trying to fully understand what's going on.  Docs state
> that the code...
>
> initialContext.lookup("java:comp/env")
>
> returns a named object.  Best I can tell is that this is a reference
> to a starting point in my directory... or something like that.  Is
> anyone willing to explain what initialContext.lookup() fundamentally
> takes care of when called?

     When I first read your question above, it seemed that you had a
profound lack of understanding.  Then on a second read it looks like
maybe you might have a vague idea - it depends on what _you_ mean when
you use the word "directory" in that question :-).

     Read up on JNDI (Java Naming and Directory Interface).  Basically
it's sort of like DNS, except that it's in the java world and the
results of a lookup are a java object.  Other examples of the concept
are LDAP, COS, NIS, in fact,the JNDI API is meant to act as a proxy
to such services, so you might be doing a JNDI lookup that's actually
hitting an LDAP server, or a your file system, or a database.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNDI
http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/overview.html
http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2000/jw-01-howto.html

          RMI uses JNDI.  J2EE APIs use JNDI.  Tomcat comes with a
database connection pool from Jakarta Commons, the DBCP.  The
following URLS document it a bit more, but you don't *really* need to
know that much about either JNDI or DBCP just to use it (this is not
to be construed as suggesting it's good to *not* know and understand
everything you're using :-).

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html