Follow-up on this subject: I was able to figure out part of the problem and
devised a solution for it.

1) There is a bug in jk_nt_exe that sends an invalid header.  I'd patched
the code and the 'BAD packet signature' goes away.

2) However, the second problem of the NullPointerException still exists.
There may be a bug in Tomcat connectors code.  I did not have time to look
into this.

3) To get around this problem and to get the service to shutdown properly, I
used an undocumented feature that set the shudown_protocol to 'cmd' (instead
of 'ajp13').  However, there are also bugs in implementation of this feature
(perhaps this is why it's not documented as an option).  I fixed the problem
and got the service to shutdown cleanly, similar to when using the
'shutdown.sh' script.

I'd like to incorporate these changes to the official version of Tomcat.
I'm not set up to be a Tomcat developer and may not have time to do this in
the near future.  So if someone would like to volunteer to incorporate the
changes, I can forward the patched code to you for you to put it in.

Thuy