Ok got it.

If I could read property I would have saved myself a lot of time. Just
to emphasise for anyone else looking at this thread..

> a context (if not
> DefaultContext) can be defined in the server.xml *or*

The OR is important - i was defining a context for the same webapp in
server.xml *and* my context.xml. When I do this, the
META-INF/context.xml file does not get read and copied to
/conf/Catalina/<hostname>/<appname>.xml. Only the context in
server.xml is read.

Thanks for your help.