I have a background thread object in my tomcat
application that performs some garbage-collection like
functions (i.e., wakes up periodically and does some
application specific cleanup).  I have tomcat
configured to "restart the context" when I drop new
class files in the WEB-INF/classes directory.
Recently I have discovered multiple copies of my these
background threads running simultaneously.  Further
investigation has shown that I get an additional copy
with each context restart.

I guess I don't even know what a context is, but I
assumed that a context restart would kill off all
application threads.  How am I supposed to get all my
application threads to die when the context restarts?
Checking instance variables don't work since the data
from the old context and the new does not appear to be
shared.

Thanks much,
Matt