> Hi,
>
> > Does Tomcat use more resources depending on how many apps are present
> > even if they are not being used?
>
> Yes, slightly more for each app, even if it's not used, depending on
> the configuration.
>
> > I would have thought that it was the number of connections to a server
> > and the amount of users/usage there of that would have caused a load
> > which would slow it down.
>
> Typically, this load is indeed the bottleneck, so your thought is right.
> However, if you add many apps, and the load is little, they can become
> the bottleneck as well.  Especially if one or more of the apps does
> processing or uses memory regardless of load (e.g. for pre-caching of
> data on startup).
>
> So as always, it depends on your specific apps and their characteristics.
> It's not hard to create an app that would use app all the server resources
> without any user connecting to it ;)

But this is all static load, correct? I mean, once Tomcat has started up and
all of the applications have performed any initialization, there shouldn't
be hardly any overhead, correct? They'll consume memory, of course.

Certainly there's a level of load if all of the applications are not in
production mode, but even then that should only matter if the applications
are actually USED, correct? Not just loaded? (Specifically thinking about
the run time checking of changed JSPs etc.)

Finally, even if there is some overall continual performance overhead for
having an application loaded, yet unused, how many apps would you have to
have to where this overhead would actually be measurable, much less make any
kind of difference whatsoever in response time to a single specific app?

Regards,

Will Hartung
([EMAIL PROTECTED])