> From: Mufaddal Khumri [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat and -server option
>
> Does java.vm.name display the mode the JVM is executing in or
> its name of the JVM installed on my machine?

It's the mode you're executing in.  I don't have a UNIX/Linux system handy, but
on a Windows machine, the client and server JVMs are packaged as separate DLLs.
 The launcher chooses which one to use based on a registry setting, if not
overridden on the command line.  (I presume something similar happens with
UNIX.)  The DLLs are stored in separate directories under <your_jre>/bin.  The
value stored in java.vm.name is hard-coded at compilation time of the JVM for
each of the DLLs, so if it says client, that's what you've got.

> Why is the -server option not taking effect?

A very good question.  Check that you actually have both client and server
directories under your jre/bin directory (not jdk/bin - check the jre inside
the jdk).  The 1.4.2 JRE for Windows does not include a server mode, whereas
the JDK does, as does the 1.5 JDK.  Don't know about the UNIX flavors, or the
1.5 JRE.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.