I'm having a terrible time trying to get my JSPs compiled on Tomcat.

We started having OutOfMemory problems a while back and I've tracked it down to JSP compilation.

Here's what I can do to replicate the problem:

- shutdown tomcat
- remove the work directory
- startup tomcat
- For all my JSPs I fetch them with the URL foo.jsp?jsp_precompile=true to trigger precompilation

After about 10 minutes (and 50-100 JSP files) Tomcat will fail with:

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Note that the VM still shows plenty of memory so I'm not sure what the heck is going on here. I also looked at our file handles and they seem fine too.

I've followed all suggestions I've found via Google including:

- setting fork to true
- using jikes
- Migrating to Tomcat 5.5.4 to use jdtool.

The machine has PLENTY of memory available:

export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1280M -Xms512M -Djava.awt.headless=true"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're probably going to migrate to using the command line JspC compiler to build all our JSPs before hand so the webapp doesn't need to compile them at runtime but this seems like a cheap workaround. I'd rather Tomcat weren't broken in this regard.

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator). Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an invite! Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you should work for Rojo! If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!
AIM/YIM - sfburtonator, Web - http://peerfear.org/