yes unless you do JSP precompilation where you compile your JSPs into servlets
before hand. A servlet is the "bytecode" class that all these guys are talking
about. JSP is not a language per se either, it's an interpreted language like
PHP that mixes HTML and Java code. The compilation phase merges the HTML and
Java and so fourth into a Java class called a Servlet. This is what runs your
request from the browser and sends the response back to the user.

Allistair