I need to set up a few virtual hosts for a development project, and being new to Tomcat virtual hosts, have a couple of questions:
-------------------
1. In development, the clients and tomcat will be on an intranet. I plan to use the hosts files of the client and tomcat boxes to map domain names to IP addresses, thereby preempting invocation of DNS, and thus exposure of our product-specific domain names to the Internet at-large, until the site is deployed publicly.

Question 1: Is this hosts-file approach feasible? Does tomcat care HOW domain names
are mapped to IP addresses?
The following fragment is extracted from conf/server.xml of the the tomcat distribution:

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
         unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
             directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true"/>
</Host>

Question 2: Why is the host named localhost? From the documentation, I expected that only URL's of the form http://localhost:8080/... would be handled by this virtual host, but it seems to handle any URL's that map to the IP and port of the real host that tomcat serves.