From: Carl Olivier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 8:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Tomcat 5.5.4 - classes in classpath not being "released"

Greetings.

Having the following problem using Tomcat 5.5.4 under JDK 1.5:

After running my webapp for a bit in a development environment, I want to
copy new and replacement classes to the webapp classes location, but
sometimes (about 50/50) I cannot overrite/delete some of the classes - as
the VM has not let them go (file handles I assume)?  I have to shut the JVM
(Tomcat) down before I can deploy my new classes

Is this something in the new JDK/JRE (5.0)? Or is this something in the
Tomcat 5.5.4 classloaders?  I cannot recall (and have not been able to
replicate) the problem on 5.0.x under JDK 1.4.x.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Carl