Its just me, I do not fully trust the /manager app
to deploy webapps all the time.  For example its
suppose to be able to deploy a war file even if the
war file is coming from a remote site, ie it should
attempt to download it but I have no luck with it
deploying a remote war file yet.
    I would do a manual deployment, ie create the
context config file at
tomcat5/conf/<engine>/localhost/yourappname.xml and
deploy your war or expanded war at tomcat5/webapps/.
See if you get the same results.
   Another tool to use is the jmxproxy.  Query it and
see if it has deployed your webapp.