This is really strange. With standalone version, and identical webapp (and same log4j's property file) to the embedded version. Mostly the same preloaded libraries. For the webapp's libraries, they're the same. It's a copy and pasted over. However, the standalone can stop and start the app fine without a problem. In my embedded version, the start and stop code using the same mechanism with the manager servlet. However, it generates the exception above. Here's my observations and questions:

1) I actually could call start() on the context without exception. Checking for available (getAvailable()) also returns true. However, the exception I shown before got printed.

2) When calling stop() on the context, or on the Embedded instance, it returns right away, not blocking until all done in Windows, under Linux, it seems to block. How to make this consistent on both?

3) After stop() and start() again, I go to the Happy Axis page, which do the validation of Axis installation. It actually shows that everything went well. However, when I click on AxisServlet (view's link in the axis's page), the same exception was generated and shown on the web browser.

This indicates that the web app actually started fine. However, just that servlet was not initialized/loaded successfully. This is indicated by "ThreadDeath" exception. The question is what makes the standalone work and my does not. There's no context configuration on the server.xml file for the standalone. For the embedded, I don't do anything special for the context other than initializing and starting the webapp folder.