Through the infinite torture of get log4j to work in my servlets I've determined that the servlet will initialize (init() method) just ducky.  When I do a form posting to the servlet for the first time it grinds and grinds and then comes back with a blank page, subsequent form postings are rather fast but I still get the blank page.  Using log4j it is apparent that neither the doPost gets hit or the doGet gets hit.  I cannot find any problems in any of Catalina's log files to indicate an error.

So two questions:
1)  Got a fix?
2)  How do I set debugging in Catalina to give more thorough logging?