We've recently been writing the 'next version' of our main application, and
the decision was made to target TC 5.0.x, up from 4.1.x.  We experience no
major difficulties in making that move, thouogh there can be a few gotchas.

The one thing we noticed that changed (for the better) was error page
handling.

Others have reported small problems regarding TC 5's more strict
interpretation of the spec in certain areas. As an example of this (though
this is from memory!) I think someone had something like:

<jsp:include page="foo">
</jsp:include>

And that appealed to their sense of 'good coding' (like putting opening and
closing braces on all blocks, including one line blocks).  This worked in
Tomcat 4.x, but not in 5.x

So small things like that might catch you up, but otherwise nothing major.