Thanks for your replies Allistair :)

2) In Apache I'm using mod_rewrite to rewrite requests to mydomain.com/ to mydomain.com/myapp. I've implemented this behaviour by using response.sendRedirect in a scriptlet in the index.jsp of my ROOT app. Is this the preferred way of doing this?

Depends on what you want. If you want mydomain.com/ to be your web application, that's fine, your webapp needs to be the root web application. If you want mydomain.com/mywebapp that's OK too. You don't need a redirect of any kind. This functionality is setup using Context element configuration more of which is in the online Tomcat documentation :)

All our customers have links to mydomain.com/myapp/mypages, so it's easier for me to keep this layout, than having my customers update their links.

3) In Apache I'm using some aliases to serve images stored outside my appbase from insisde my webapp (Alias /myapp/alias "/path/outside/appbase"). I've implemented this by creating context xml files for all my aliases with appBase="/path/outside/appbase" path="/myapp/alias". Again, is this the preferred way of doing this?

Same answer, it's not "best" practice.

I'm serving pdf files and thumbnails of selected pages. These thumbnails total 200M and growing, so I'm willing to sacrifice the self-containment of my app. Even though Yoav has given me a lesson in the importance of self-contained apps previously ;) I consider my app to be as self-contained as practically possible.

4) I've compiled jsvc and adapted the Tomcat5.sh to start the server. If I do "Tomcat5.sh stop ; Tomcat5.sh start" to do a restart of > the server my machine hangs. If I allow a pause between stop and start then the server starts with no problem. Is this a known issue?

Same :)

I have now added a restart target to my Tomcat5.sh that sleeps 5 sec. between stop and start.

Thanks again

Trond