From: Januski, Ken [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 10:19 AM
To: 'Andoni '; 'Tomcat Users List '
Subject: RE: [OT] SCWCD Exam 1.4

Ha! Well I know this type of book has to come as a shock, especially as a
book for certification. As I said earlier I gave up on the "Head First Java"
book because it was just too "childlike." But this one has surprised me.
Maybe that's because I went through both the Manning and Wrox books to get
my 1.2 certification and this just serves as a light reminder of what I
learned there as well as coverage of new topics for 1.4.

I do know that it seemed pretty easy for people to score in the 90+ range on
the 1.2 exam and that some people, mainly at JavaRanch, said that that was
because anyone could memorize the required material. I suspect that the 1.4
exam tries to test for deeper understanding. My second suspicion is that
underneath all the "childlike" facade of this Head First book that the
authors are trying to make a deeper understanding of how servlets, jsp, etc.
work more important than memorizing the spec. But I can't say whether I
think that they've been successful until I finish the book. It may be when
I'm done I'll just find that I didn't the "childish" style never added up to
anything. Time will tell.

But I can't blame you for being scared off by the book, especially as a
certification book. I think that it really does presume a young audience,
who will enjoy references to "Weezer" CDs, whatever/whoever they are. That
said I'm still reading on and enjoying it. Perhaps I'll send an email to
Tomcat list when I finally finish it.

I do know that the first version of the Manning book was perfectly fine for
me for my 1.2 certication and I imagine the new one will be just as good.

Ken