Hi, Roberto,

Understanding a problem before solving it is good policy, I think.  If
the problem is noise (and I don't thnk so) on the list, then maybe the
following would be helpful.

These attempts at monitoring the hallways are seemingly always the
longest threads.

I also don't believe the 30% figure.  That does not come close to what
I see.  I would be surprised if that were not greatly inflated.

I would like to see a percentage determination of the percentage of
posts which are about the list and about other peoples' questions.  I
would bet that is fairly large.

If we want to shorten lists, I would encourage people to give better
information on their questions and to ask people to think about their
answers.  A quick perusal of the lists shows me that this is the
biggest inflator of the list.  Even the present question or statement
is not going to end up with a thing happening.  That is almost
guaranteed.  If real answers were given to real questions, presumably
there would be many two email exchanges.  These are not, I think, the
norm.  Anyway, if noise is a problem, then an analysis would be the
way to go.  What do you think?

This is just my take, and I am probably full of monkey doo.

Jack

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:44:11 +0100, Roberto Cosenza
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi cats worldover.
> It's been a while that I've reading the posts on this mailing list and I can
> easily say that about 30% are not pertinent to tomcat but are related to web
> technology in general.  Isn't it time to route this traffic to other mailing
> lists? Can't the tomcat project host new list for those users lookin for
> other kind of help?
> It will sure enhance the quality of the list a lot.
> /Roberto

~Native Proverb~