I have not run into that kind of problem before... typically if you hit
a JSP without hitting its controller first you will just get nothing (an
HTML screen with no data).  when it gets routed back to the controller,
it will then register a failure due to lack of data.  Problem solved.

Robert Taylor wrote:

> Please let me know if this questions is just too obvious
> and I'll gladly RTFM...

See below :-)

> It just seems like a common idiom to provide a portable mechanism
> for protecting direct access to .jsp so as to enforce access through
> some controller. I have in the past placed .jsp files "behind"
WEB-INF,
> but I don't believe that is portable and would like to use CMS to
achieve
> this.

Given that the Java" Servlet Specification Version 2.4, page 70 sez:

        A special directory exists within the application hierarchy
        named WEB-INF. This directory contains all things related to
        the application that aren't in the document root of the
        application. The WEB-INF node is not part of the public
        document tree of the application. No file contained in the
        WEB-INF directory may be served directly to a client by the
        container.

I don't know how much more "portable" you want it to be :-)

HTH!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                           dream.  code.