Dear Martin,

        For example, in my tomcat.sh, I set the JAVACMD variable to give
Java arguments for a heap of 128 mb, with 256mb max.

JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Xms128m -Xmx256m"

This is for IBM JDK 1.3 (Linux).  If the same syntax doesn't work with your
version of Java, you can see it's documentation for the syntax it wants.

Hope this helps,
Aleksey