I'm trying to debug something, and the individual webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file seems to be a bit of an enigma to me. I've been using something like this:

<resource-env-ref>
<description>Test value</description>
<resource-env-ref-name>someValue</resource-env-ref-name>
<env-entry-value>stub value</env-entry-value>
<resource-env-ref-type>java.lang.String</resource-env-ref-type>
</resource-env-ref>

It wasn't working how I expected, so I went to the DTD's to see what was written there. Initially I used this DTD:
<!DOCTYPE web-app
"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd";>

...shock and surprise...resource-env-ref is not even in the DTD. Yet the application starts and runs without a single error or warning. Even so, I've found that resource-env-ref still has some functionality. Is this a bug, or is this just the result of non-validated file read?

Incidentally, this tag is properly described in http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd.