Hello Hardik,

thanks for your reply, yeas, I'm using the same code
as you written,

thanx eversomuch, please help me out

the code looks like this

[code]

package com.jspbook;

import java.io.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class InternationalizedHelloWorld extends
HttpServlet {

HttpServletResponse response) throws IOException,
ServletException {

        response.setContentType("text/html");

        PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();

        String greeting;

        greeting =
getServletConfig().getInitParameter("greeting");

        if(greeting != null) {

        System.out.println("lopaliki vachav");

        out.println("<html>");
        out.println("<head>");
        out.println("<title>Shabbu Bhai</title>");
        out.println("</head>");
        out.println("<body>");
        out.println("<h1>" + greeting + "</h1>");
        out.println("</body>");
        out.println("</html>");

        }

        else {

        System.out.println("bayate unnav");

        out.println("<html>");
        out.println("<head>");
        out.println("<title>Shabbu Bhai</title>");
        out.println("</head>");
        out.println("<body>");
        out.println("<h1>Emiledura Dunna</h1>");
        out.println("</body>");
        out.println("</html>");

        }

     }
  }

[code]

--- Hardik Tank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you using init() method of the servlet for
> fetching init parameters like this?
>
> String str =
> getServletConfig().getInitParameter("param1");
>

> Rgrds,
> Hardik
>

> --- Raasi Potluri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Friends,
> >
> > I have written a simple servlet which reads a init
> > parameter from the web.xml file and displays on
> the
> > browser. I'm a beginner and trying to learn simple
> > servlets, I have reached where I can read some
> init
> > params from the web.xml file and displays on the
> > browser, but all the simple servlets are working
> > without any hassle, but reading init parameter
> > returns
> > null in the servlet, because I triend to print
> that
> > on
> > to the console, but it returns null, please help
> me,
> > awaiting a reply, regards Raasi
> >
> > web.xml looks like this

> > <!--
> >   Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation
> >
> >   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0
> > (the
> > "License");
> >   you may not use this file except in compliance
> > with
> > the License.
> >   You may obtain a copy of the License at
> >
> >       http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
> >
> >   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to
> in
> > writing, software
> >   distributed under the License is distributed on
> an
> > "AS IS" BASIS,
> >   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND,
> > either
> > express or implied.
> >   See the License for the specific language
> > governing
> > permissions and
> >   limitations under the License.
> > -->
> >
> > <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";

> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
> >     version="2.4">
> >
> >   <display-name>Welcome to Tomcat</display-name>
> >   <description>
> >      Welcome to Tomcat
> >   </description>
> >

> > <!-- JSPC servlet mappings start -->
> >
> >     <servlet>

<servlet-name>org.apache.jsp.index_jsp</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.jsp.index_jsp</servlet-class>
> >     </servlet>
> >
> >     <servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>org.apache.jsp.index_jsp</servlet-name>
> >         <url-pattern>/index.jsp</url-pattern>
> >     </servlet-mapping>
> >

> >     <servlet>
> >         <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
> >
> <servlet-class>HelloServlet</servlet-class>
> >     </servlet>
> >

> >     <servlet-mapping>
> >         <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
> >         <url-pattern>/HelloServlet</url-pattern>
> >     </servlet-mapping>
> >
> >     <servlet>

<servlet-name>InternationalizedHelloWorld</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.jspbook.InternationalizedHelloWorld</servlet-class>
> >     <init-param>
> >        <param-name>greeting</param-name>
> >        <param-value>Kisahairetu</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     </servlet>
> >
> >     <servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>InternationalizedHelloWorld</servlet-name>

<url-pattern>/InternationalizedHelloWorld</url-pattern>