On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Dakota Jack wrote:

> I am not sure what the problem is with "overwriting".  I am also not
> sure what you mean by them "existing" outside the web application.  If
> by being edited outside and included in a web application is what you
> mean by "existing outside", what is the problem?
>
> Sorry to be dark, but this is a mysterious discussion to me.  You guys
> clearly understand what you are talking about.  I don't.  Consider
> this a "subquestion" in an attempt to be helpful.  ;-)

Hi Jack,

The basic idea is, we have jsp's that must be edited on the fly, through a
web page.  Those edits must survive updates of the application itself.
So, if you think of the edited jsp's as being headers or footers that are
included in other jsp files, we want to save these headers and footers
outside of the tomcat/webapps/ROOT directory, because this will get
deleted when we deploy a new ROOT.war file.

So, we were hoping on saving them in something like /var/jsp/footer.jsp
and /var/jsp/header.jsp so that when /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/ROOT gets
deleted and then redeployed with a new version of the application, we can
continue using the old footer.jsp and header.jsp files.  And
unfortunately, these special files do need jsp code, and must be more than
just html.

Thank you,
-Raiden