The jakarta JMeter monitor sends requests to Tomcat's status servlet
and uses the stats there to generate a performance graph. You can
monitor multiple servers with jmeter.

If you use a third party tool, it will have lots of other features,
but it most likely will not be able to utilize the stats the status
servlet displays. the tomcat monitor I wrote specifically takes
advantage of the status servlet to show performance. just go to
jmeter's page and you'll see.

peter