I have configured Tomcat 5.0.27 on the localhost to accept https connections (I have configured an unsigned cert under the alias "tomcat" to allow this).

I can then get to the root Tomcat page at https://localhost:8443/.

If my browser happens to have a signed cookie in it (this cookie is a signed S/MIME message that contains the signing certificate and so is 3765 bytes long - it is used by some homegrown Apache httpd apps that are unrelated to Tomcat), then Tomcat no longer responds on 8443. I can still get to the Tomcat root page with http://localhost:8080/, but when I try https://localhost:8443/ then Netscape 7 says "document contains no data" and Safari says “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011).

Nothing is logged by Tomcat about this. There are no error messages at any time from Tomcat.

My browser and server are on Mac OS X.

I tried puting the signing cert that is used to sign the S/MIME message into the keystore for Tomcat. That didn't help. I don't know how to put the signing key into the keystore... maybe that's inadvisable anyway?

Is this simply a matter of the size of the cookie, or will Tomcat try to do something with the cookie even though it is not intended to be used by any apps in Tomcat? What should I investigate and try to resolve this?

Thanks for your help!

==Leonard E. Sitongia
    Web Engineering Group
    P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO 80307  USA
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    voice: (303)497-2454   fax: (303)497-1804