I am accessing it from another machine.

Roland Carlsson wrote:

Are you accessing tomcat from localhost or any other host?

Den 05-01-14 09.19, skrev "Mumanyi Bravismore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Sorry, I am on RedHat 9. I have given the user -rwx- of the [tomcat]
dir, No problem with the user starting tomcat. ps -e|grep java shows the
tomcat process is running but when I try to access the pages from the
browser, connection is failing.

Any tips on how to grant priviledges to port 80 or 8080 on linux to a user.

Thanks

Roland Carlsson wrote:

Hi Mumanyi!

This will require some knowleage about you operatingsystem since not all
operation is allowed being a non-root user. But it basically comes down to
this:

Grant the user you would like to run tomcat read and write rights on the
whole tomcat install-dir. This because tomcat write down a few things to
disk.

Make sure that you operating system allow the user to open up the port you
which tomcat to run on. Usually ports under 1024 are dissallowed without
special privilegies.

If you still are having problem you have to read the logs to see why tomcat
fails to start correctly.

Regards
Roland Carlsson