This should work. Your linux boxes won't route multicast without the entry in the routing table. I found this out while trying to debug clustering with jboss and it fixed all my issues. Also make sure any routers on your network will route multicast.

Edmon Begoli wrote:

Since you are on RedHat you have to do these steps to enable multicast on your machines:

assign an IP to a host

ifconfig eth0 multicast

route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

Regards,
Edmon

Simon Whiteside wrote:

Hi Filip,

are you running iptables firewall?

no. The servers are inside a hardware firewall.

that might also be blocking your multicast.
I do suggest you get a little utility that tests your multicast.

Can you suggest one?

Regards,

Simon