John,

>From what I gather, this is the purpose of the properties "local_worker"
and "local_worker_only" properties in the workers.properties file. They
are documented at the bottom of this page:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/config/workers.html

Unfortunately the explanation is not clear - partially due to the
English. I say this somewhat apologetically - realizing of course that
the writers command of English if probably far, far better than my
command of their native language.

>From what I do understand:
 1) At the point that you decide to do maintenance on one machine, you
need to change your workers.properties and set local_worker=0 for that
particular machine.
 2) Then do a "reload" on your Apache configuration.
 3) JK will then stop directing new traffic to the designated machine.
 4) After all sessions have expired or quiesced you can stop that Tomcat
instance and do the maintenance.

The above scenario may work for some, but not for my case. I have users
that may work on a session for several hours sometimes. So I need to use
JK and Tomcat session replication which is supposed to let you use the
"ant stop" command and have all traffic immediately handled by the other
Tomcat instances. There is a separate active thread on this issue. I see
Filip just mentioned a new valve "JvmRouteBinderValve" that may help
solve my problem.

Hope this helps - Richard