I understand what you are saying, Javier, if you have a round-trip
situation, where you set cookies in one response, and then test for them in
a follow-up request.

But I'm not convinced that's how Tomcat does it.

The first time a client connects to a server, there will not be any cookies,
session or otherwise, for the client browser to send to the server - but
Tomcat can still figure out whether or not cookies are enabled in the client
browser.

At least, that seems to be the case with my application: Tomcat
automatically decides whether or not to apply URL rewriting if I call the
HttpServletResponse.encodeURL() method.

I wonder if anyone here knows for sure?

Regards

Harry