<snip>
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:11:24 -0500, Frank W. Zammetti
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I still don't understanding the 32 and 22... What do the [2] and [3]'s
> represent?
</snip>

A total of three possible processes (1) getting the request; (2)
passing the request to another server; (3) handling the response.

If you have them all, you have a three.  If only 1 and 3, then you have a two.

<snip>
> If we are talking about dynamically-created resources, then I would tend
> to agree with your view.  But we have, at least as far as I was
> concerned, been talking about strictly static resources.
</snip>

If there are static resources, then we can get it down to 22 versus 22
by sending the images to a separate server.  Not only can we do this,
but we can send the images to a super efficient separate server if we
are talking about static images only.

<snip>
> An app server running ResourceAction can serve resources more
> efficiently than a web server.
</snip>

Not that an app server is faster under any circumstances tha a web
server.  That really is not close to true.  I've seen the stats on
that one and I would doubt that they will ever be the same or close to
the same.  I would be as SCHOCKED as you (is this an Italian-Jewish
SHOCKED? ///;-) ) in that case.  What I am talking about is a custom
server for images which gets rid of a LOT of baggage, including
WEB-INF but having the same protections as being under WEB-INF.

<snip>
> Again, strictly talking about static resources, I would be absolutely
> SCHOCKED to learn this is the case under most circumstances.  That would
> be like saying a Cadillac could beat a NASCAR vehicle in 1 ten-lap
> race... It might be able to under some circumstances, like the NASCAR
> driver being drunk!, and certainly there are some very nice trade-offs
> to driving the Caddy like more room and a better stereo, but in general
> you wouldn't expect the Caddy to lose.
</snip>

In this case the analogy, IF apt, is the reverse.  The custom server
is the NASCAR.  All the doodads needed on an app or a web server can
be pealed off and serious savings with multithreading, parsing
presumptions, etc. can be realized.

<snip>
> A bit of hyperbole there, but the underlying point is what's important.
</snip>

I enjoyed the ride in the caddy.  Had the stereo on a good jazz
station in my mind with Lead Belly growling at me.  The metaphor is
apt but really, when you are talking a mini-quick-custom server,
reversed.  I am actually surprised that there are not more of these
little speedy and specialized servers around.

Jack

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this