From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:00 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%
[bcc][faked-from]

> From: Kevin Williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%
>
> 1.  Yes, tomcat is running as a service.

You might want to shutdown that service and run it from a command-line
window, at least for testing purposes.  Easier to fiddle with heap size
options and the like.

> 2.  I am not aware of any CPU affinity settings.

They won't show up in Task Manager.  Not sure if the plain Windows
Server supports affinity; my experience with that capability was on a
32-CPU Advanced (Enterprise?) Server system which I no longer have
access to.  There's an mmc plug in Admin Tools that lets you play with
associating processes with CPUs, if it's available in your OS.

> 3.  I'm not sure what options are set with the jvm (I didn't
> install the service).

IIRC, the default heap size for the 1.4.1 JVM on Windows is only 64 MB,
and that's really not enough for any serious work.  I suspect that
you're spending much of your time in garbage collection.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.