Yeah, it's good thinking.  But these are my only mappings:
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <!-- The mapping for the JSP servlet -->
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <!-- The mapping for the CGI Gateway servlet -->
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.cgi</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

Doesn't look like any overwriting here....
--Alex
Alex Brelsfoard
Web Applications Developer
Web Development Office