Chris,

When I talked to a guy from verisign during the creation he said that
was one of the differences of 5 over 4. That it did not matter where the
keystore or the cert was placed as long as there were no errors during
the install. Right now the keystore and certs are placed off the root something like the c:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\bin\. This location is the same directory that holds
the keytool.exe file that I used to create the keystore. The keytool.exe
just dumped everything into its home location. The server is under c:\apache\tomcat not sure if this is the root problem or if I am just
barking at the moon.

I believe I sent you this offlist several days ago, but perhaps not. In any case, you can specify any location for your keystoreFile, you just need to put that information into the <Connector> element so TC (version 4 or 5!) knows where to find it.

And I wouldn't recommend leaving your keystore file where it is now :-)
Delete it and recreate in a location of your choice. The instructions
below are for a Linux system, so adapt for your Windows environment as
necessary...

Following these instructions should take all of 5 minutes...
I didn't have SSL enabled on my dev machine, so to test this I
1) uncommented the SSL Connector, changing the port to 443 so I
   wouldn't have to type in the port in the address bar

2) ran keytool
   prompt% $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
           -keystore /etc/.keystore -keypass woohoo

3) added that info to the Connector

    <Connector port="443"
        maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
        maxSpareThreads="75"
        acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
        clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
        keystoreFile="/etc/.keystore"
        keystorePass="woohoo"
        />

And that's it; worked right off the bat.

If yours isn't behaving as you expect, you might want to redo the
install from scratch, just to be sure, and then check the logs if
it's still not responding.

Good luck!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]