> Proud to say I'm not going to cover my ass (if I don't
> have to :).

Covering your backside is fine, just make sure you cover it with
something appropriate and effective.

> But I remember there were some worms that
> hit your computer even if you didn't do anything on
> it. One day my non-av'ed computer just went down with
> SoBig, I think, while Norton caught it on all other
> computers.

That's kind of like saying it's good to make everyone wear those 80+
pound suits of armor so you can leave the fort gate open.

> So perhaps it is a good idea even on
> servers with restricted access.

Armor rusts, too:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com

and check the updates for Symantec. I understand anyone using Symantec
products is being encouraged to be sure those updates are in place ASAP.

Whether management wants to bog servers down with anti-v or not is their
decision, but if they want to be good neighbors and good citizens, they
need to hire or train someone who can set up correct firewalls and
demilitarized zones, etc.

--
Joel Rees   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム