Both of them are servlet containers.

The difference is in the version of the servlet specifications. JSERV is a
Servlet 2.0 compliant servlet container while Tomcat is a Servlet 2.2
servlet container. Tomcat is more advanced and efficient than JSERV.
Furthermore, mod_jserv was thought to be a connetor between JSERV and
Apache, when Tomcat first came, a version of mod_jserv was adapted to work
with Tomcat. But it had lot of bugs and wasn't so robust. A brand new module
was built for Tomcat-Apache connectivity and was called mod_jk. I'd suggest
using Apache-Tomcat-mod_jk.

HTH,

Martin

PD: Any mistake in my explanation, please correct!