Yea, I know, I saw that note. It's in the Host element description but references to $CATALINA_HOME (which should be $CATALINA_BASE) are all over the place -- not just under Host documentation.

What's more, a reader could easily think that the note you mentioned *only* referred to the Host element description since it says, "The description below...".

IMHO, instead of asking the reader to do a mental substitution I think the documentation should be updated s.t. it uses $CATALINA_BASE when $CATALINA_BASE is appropriate. This documentation anomaly has bothered me for a long time and I felt I needed to mention it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 10:20 PM
Subject: RE: ?? Yet Another Tomcat Documentation Bug ??

From: Tony LaPaso [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ?? Yet Another Tomcat Documentation Bug ??

The first bullet point starts out: "Any XML file in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[engine_name]/[host_name] directory is assumed..."

I believe this should say, "Any XML file in the
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine_name]/[host_name] directory is assumed..."

Is that right? It's another typo, right?

There's a fairly prominent note at the introduction to the host element:

"The description below uses the variable name $CATALINA_HOME to refer to the directory into which you have installed Tomcat 5, and is the base directory against which most relative paths are resolved. However, if you have configured Tomcat 5 for multiple instances by setting a CATALINA_BASE directory, you should use $CATALINA_BASE instead of $CATALINA_HOME for each of these references."

- Chuck