> > On Feb 22, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Kelly Vista wrote:
> >
> >> Hi -
> >>
> >> We are looking to deploy our app, running on Tomcat 5, soon and are
> >> exploring load balancing options.  We are looking at H/W and S/W
> >> solutions, and I was wondering if anyone had any past
> >> experience/advice they would like to share.
> >>
> >> Our deployment is as pretty run-of-the-mill as it gets: 2 machines,
> >> each running Tomcat.  We would like to avoid replicating state (since
> >> we have a lot of state in these apps, for reasons beyond  our current
> >> control).  Even in-memory session replication would not be option
> >> here, so we're punting on the Tomcat cluster solution.

You could use Coherence*Web to cluster your session state, and a Foundry
switch to do the load balancing. It can do sticky load balancing, and if a
server fails then coherence will ensure that your other boxes still have
the session state.

http://www.foundrynet.com/products/webswitches/serveriron/
http://www.tangosol.com/coherence-uses-a.jsp

Best Regards,