I have attempted to configure a tomcat cluster using version 5.5.7 of
tomcat.
I have configured a simple tcp cluster in the server.xml.  I have two
tomcat instances installed on two different Linux servers
(Fedora core 3, IPTAPLES is turned off, there is not firewall).
I have apache and mod_jk set up on a third server.  Multicast is
enabled!!!
When I start up each tomcat instance I receive the following message in
the catalina.out file.

------
Feb 23, 2005 9:21:49 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster
start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Feb 23, 2005 9:21:49 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Setting multihome multicast interface to:/10.111.22.163
Feb 23, 2005 9:21:49 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService
start
INFO: Sleeping for 2000 secs to establish cluster membership
Feb 23, 2005 9:21:51 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer start
INFO: Cluster FarmWarDeployer started.
Feb 23, 2005 9:21:51 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
start
INFO: Starting clustering manager...:/testapp
Feb 23, 2005 9:21:51 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
start
INFO: Manager[/testapp], skipping state transfer. No members active in
cluster group.
-----

The important thing to note here is that in the last line, I see
"INFO: Manager[/testapp], skipping state transfer. No members active in
cluster group."
At first I was thinking that multicast was not working properly.
However, I was researching the
Tomcat mailing list and found another thread discussing the same issue.
I tried to use the tool,
tomcat-replication.jar located on the CVS for tomcat.  I can see the
multicast sessions being generated between
both servers using this tool.  I also started up ethereal, the packet
sniffer.  I noticed that both servers are generating multicast packets.

However after careful analysis of the packet information, I noticed that
my servers were looking for 127.0.0.1/4001 for the receiver port.
So I set the tcpListenAddress from "auto" to "10.111.22.163"  This
seemed to fix the problem with the multicast packets sending out
the incorrect listener addresses.  However, I am still getting the same
error...

"INFO: Manager[/testapp], skipping state transfer. No members active in
cluster group."

So here are my questions:
1. Is this really an error, or is session replication working and I am
not testing it properly?

2.What is the proper way to test that session replication is working
properly?  Can anyone provide me with code that works.  I am currently
using a
bean that I declare with <jsp:usebean scope=session.............Is this
wrong, should I use request.getAttribute(),
request.setAttribute()instead.

3.Can session replication replicate things like a class that I implement
as java.io.serializable?

Thanks in advance,

Randall

Cluster configuration from server.xml:

        <Cluster
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"

managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                 expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true"
                 notifyListenersOnReplication="true">

            <Membership

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                mcastAddr="224.0.0.5"
                mcastPort="45564"
                mcastFrequency="500"
                mcastDropTime="3000"
                mcastBindAddress="10.111.22.163"/>

            <Receiver

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="10.111.22.163"
                tcpListenPort="4001"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"/>

            <Sender

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                replicationMode="pooled"
                ackTimeout="15000"/>

            <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.png;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.css;.*\.txt;
"/>

            <Deployer
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
                      tempDir="/tmp/war-temp/"
                      deployDir="/tmp/war-deploy/"
                      watchDir="/tmp/war-listen/"
                      watchEnabled="false"/>