Quoting Adrian Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> OK, thanks to your vote of confidence in the method, I dug further and
> >> discovered that my WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties was never being
> >> found.  If I put the log4j.properties into the same jar (in
> >> WEB-INF/lib) with the class that was instantiating the Logger, it
> >> worked correctly.
> >>

> > That's extremely odd.  What version of Tomcat are you running?  That's
> > a bug
> > because WEB-INF/classes should be put in the classpath before jars in
> > WEB-INF/lib.
>
> This is 5.5.7, with the 1.4 compatibility package on MacOS.  I've
> experienced similar issues before with different tomcat versions,
> though I had forgotten that in this case..
>
> Note I do NOT unpack the app from a war, just copy the full hierarchy
> straight under webapps.  Also, the WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties
> file was a symblic link.  Maybe one of these makes a difference?

That makes a huge difference.  Symbolic links are not enabled by default.  I
believe there is some sort of "allowLinking" property you can set in the
context configuration file for the app.  I don't recall the syntax for that,
though.  See the Tomcat docs for info.  Once you have that set, it will
probably work as expected.

Jake