> > > I went to www.dyndns.org and selected 'Dynamic
> > DNS'
> > > and did whatever it asked me to. I'm able to
> > access it
> > > locally. ie.
> >
> > Locally means on the same machine as the server?
>
> On the same machine where tomcat & apache are running.
>
> > And could you mention which "whatever it asked me"
> > you did?
>
> When i clicked on 'Dynamic DNS', a form appeared and i
> keyed-in the host name. That's it. It gave following

You must have done more than that. You registered, gave them an e-mail
address to contact you at, then when you got your registration confirmed,
you went to the dynamic dns services and got your form.

I'm kind of wondering which form it was. The reason is that I'm
wondering if it properly associated your requested 3LD (raghu under
dnsalias.net) with your NAT/firewall/router/modem's external interface
address.

My web browser can't reach you.

Ping is picking it up at maxonline.com.sg.

That's likely to indicate some tomcat setup issues.

> > > http://dummy.dnsalias.net/web/JSP/login.html

http://raghu.dnsalias.net/
http://raghu.dnsalias.net/web/JSP/login.html

just leave the web browser trying to connect.

http://raghu.dnsalias.net:8080/
http://raghu.dnsalias.net:8080/web/JSP/login.html

both get refused.

You probably also have firewall setup problems.

> > > But not from other computers (one at office).

Can you ping raghu.dnsalias.net from the one at the office?

Have you edited the hosts file of the machine at the office? Did you set
it to the internal address of the server instead of the external address?

(If your NAT/firewall/router/modem doesn't show the external interface
to the internal net, you'll have to use the hosts file on all computers
on your LAN, or set up an internal-only name server. And the IP address
of the server for your office computers will not be the same as the one
for the external net, of course.)

Speaking of the firewall, is it forwarding port 80 and port 8080 to the
server?

> > Have you edited the hosts files on any of the
> > computers, including the
> > server?
>
> Yes. I edited the host file of the server.

This may be the reason you can see it locally.

> > > I'm able
> > > to ping to this machine.
> >
> > Ping by IP address or by the dummy.dnsalias.net
> > domain name?
>
> Both.
>
> > And if IP, is it by the internal IP or the external
> > IP?

So, does the other office computer ping it by raghu.dnsalias.net, by
202.156.229.137, or by an internal address (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or
172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x)?

> > Wait. dummy is probably not a 3LD that you'd be able
> > to get. Are you
> > sure about that?
>
> It's not dummy. Actual URL is: raghu.dnsalias.net
>
> > > But not able to see the web
> > > application. Is this is a firewall issue? How can
> > > identify what are the firewalls/spywares running
> > in my
> > > system and how to allow the IP Address to be
> > visible.
> >
> > I was going to mention cheap broadband "modems" that
> > don't expose the
> > external interface address back to the internal LAN
> > and about
> > demilitarized zones, and recapitulate the hosts file
> > business, but I
> > think we haven't got that far yet.
> >
> > (None of this is the main topic on this list.)
>
> Sorry for posting this issue in this mailing list. I
> was monitoring this list. Also, i thought, there may
> be some tomcat & apache server configuration problem.

It does look like you may have both types of configuration problems.

--
Joel Rees   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム