Montz, James C. (James Tower) wrote:

On a related note, It would appear to me that java is not adhering to
the -Xmx option;

I have several instances that report using 3-4X RSS Memory what -Xmx is
set to.

For example,
Instance1:
CATALINA_OPTS="-sqerver -Xms64m -Xmx128m"
PS Ouput: USER %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS
instanc1 0.7 8.9 509284 343636

Running on Redhat ES3 U4, Sun J2SDK 1.4.2_04

Anyone seen similar behaviour, tomcat or Java issue?, explanations?

Are you sure that your JVM is executed with these arguments and are not overidden by some shell scripts or so (ps -x will tell you)?
On HP-UX we consume 587mb of RSS with options below :
CATALINA_OPTS="-server -Xoptgc -Xmx1024m -Xms256m -Xmn128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"

On Linux (Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1), with kernel 2.6)
We consume 106m of RES but it is an unused/low-use tomcat, JVM options are below :
export JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx700m -Djava.nio.use_epoll=true"

It seems to be strange that you consume so much memory, is it at Tomcat startup, maybe your webapps are very big?
You never encountered OutOfMemory exceptions?

I had so much issues with JAVA memory management so now I'm so confuse with it that I gave up to understand
very well how it is working, my only fear is OutOfMemory, if my webapp runs fine it's OK, I don't touch it.

Good luck.

David.