From: Tim Funk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 15 March 2005 11:03
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Over 1000 threads running in production

Take periodic thread dumps and read them. perl, grep, and wc are your friends to parse the data without going insane.

The thread dumps should give you a general idea of who created them.

-Tim

Guillaume Lahitette wrote:

Hello Tomcat'oids,

This is Tomcat 4.1.26 on Linux with JDK 1.4.1_03, load balanced

accross 2 servers by a BigIP device. User base is around 50.

Our operations team discovered over 1000 java threads running

on each production server. It appears that about 20 threads are added

to this count every hour.

Can someone clarify:
 a.. how are threads open? Is it 1 thread per HTTP request?

Can I monitor this / gather more details?

 b.. how and when are threads "closed"? garbage collected?
 c.. are threads re-used / pooled?
 d.. how to tune the number of threads Tomcat uses appropriately?
 e.. Any known issues with our setup?
Any other recommendations, best practices and war stories are

greatly appreciated!