Dan Thiffault wrote:

if (d->status=500) { jk_log(l, JK_LOG_ERROR, "Tomcat server returned status=%d",d->status); JK_TRACE_EXIT(l); return JK_FALSE; }

I may end up using a case statement and preventing apache from trying the next worker on bad request or something like that. Hope this helps some one else too.

Yes, that is the problem, and that is why it wasn't implemented. In case your application returns 500, then entire worker is marked in error state and is unusable for consecutive requests until recycled.

The solution would be to mark the url in error state, add url cache, and
then recycle the context path, but this would require lots of work,
add more complexity, with dubious usage.

I would suggest that you rewrite your application to offer high
availability. It would be much smarter then doing HTTP 500 tricks.

Regards,
Mladen.