yes, another (more generic) solution would be a similar servlet mapping but
route all requests to a servlet capable of then forwarding to the request URI +
.jsp

 <servlet>
    <servlet-name>convertToJspServlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>my.com.ConvertToJspServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>convertToJspServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

In the ConvertToJspServlet servlet you would obtain the request.getRequestURI
or mapping and use a RequestDispatcher to add a .jsp suffix.

At least then you don't have to add mappings in web.xml for all your JSPs.

Just thinking out loud ;) ...

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055