On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:33:02PM -0500, Elihu Smails wrote:
: I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
: like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
: develop my servlets.
: [snip]
: So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
: servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
: I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
: to ge the job done.

Yes and no.  Struts separates the calls business logic (Action classes)
to the formatting of the display.  The formatting defaults to JSP, but
really, can be any resource in your context: another servlet, a Velocity
template, etc.

The real question is why the JSPs have been banned.  If all such display
components are not permitted in your project, handling raw HTML inside a
servlet will be a maintenance nightmare.  That's why JSPs were invented!

-QM

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news  -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com