Thanks for your instant reply.But i just checked whatever u had said.I tried to
start it from the console by giving the command %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\startup.bat
 but same problem still persists.The tomcat console came only for 2-3 seconds
and then dissapeared.So i could not read the error messages.I am using Windows
2000 server.some times it runs fine and gives me the desired output.

Ok what about that resource not found(404 error).I have created my own folder
called my_apps inside webapps and the whole directory structure WEB-INF/classes
inside that.but when am typing http://localhost:8080/my_apps in the address bar
of the browser am getting this error.Ya one clue is that in the tomcat console
am getting org.xml.sax.SAXPARSEException.
<web-app> should match with a ending </web-app>.But i have checked my
webapplication's web.xml file & it is correct and there is no other user's
application inside the webapps folder.

Currently am doing a project and i need the solution very badly.

First let me help in starting the server.What about that logs?
Ayaskant

Torrey Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It's tough to say what your problem is without more information. Did you
check Tomcat's logs to see what the error is when starting up? Have you
tried running tomcat from the console instead of from a batch file so
that you can see the output of the server when it erors and quits?

Give those a try and let us know what the output is and maybe some one
can help.

Regards